PRIMARY FUNCTION: The Program Director establishes and manages the program formats of the Radio Sawa network, exclusive of news and editorial content. The Director works across MBN and with the Managing Editor and General Manager to align and optimize Radio Sawa programming in pursuit of MBN’s mission.
SPECIFIC DUTIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES: (Essential Functions: Duties and responsibilities noted with bullets are considered to be the essential functions of the job).
- Lead and manage all non-news programming elements on all Radio Sawa program streams, including; music programming, production elements, music/entertainment-based specialty programming, and features.
- Conceive, create and implement new music, entertainment and talk-based programs and other non-news features.
- Oversee creation of all sonic elements on Sawa’s streams – inclusive of promos, sweepers and jingles.
- Oversee music programming including the research process. With the Sawa Music Director, interpret the results of the weekly/biweekly music research and make appropriate adjustments in the music databases.
- Create and manage internet-only programming, including new streams and podcasts, designed for the Radio Sawa app and website. Work with MBN’s Digital team to ensure Radio Sawa is appropriately represented online.
- Foster and maintain positive working relationships within the music industry in the Middle East to the benefit of MBN.
- Consistently develop, implement, and evaluate operating changes to improve the quality and efficiency of the network in accordance with MBN policies and procedures.
- Identify existing and emerging operational and program issues and advise senior management on resolution strategies.
- Work cooperatively with the Managing Editor to ensure music, production and news team efforts are integrated and coordinated.
- Work with News, Operations, Digital, Promotions, and other MBN departments to fully integrate and align Sawa’s mission into programming activities.
- Read and record promotional announcements.
- Lead human and financial resource planning. Develop and provide analysis of resource issues for senior management.
- Manage the Music Programming and Production teams effectively and foster a positive working environment.
- Assign and schedule staff; adjust schedules as needed to meet the changing demands of the newsroom.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in team and implement plans for training and improvement where appropriate.
QUALIFICATION/EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- At least six years of professional experience in music programming and music radio management or other related field. Supervisory experience required. Experience as a Program Director a plus.
- Fluency in Arabic and English
- Knowledge of music scheduling software programs
- Experience with voice tracking and music research preferred
- Extensive contacts in the Middle East music industry preferred
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of management and staff in a professional manner
- Sound self-discipline and time-management skills
- Ability to accommodate flexible hours including nights, weekends, holidays and irregular hours
- Solid leadership qualities
- Knowledge of the Middle East music industry
- Knowledge of current world events, with an emphasis of those occurring in, or affecting, the Middle East
- Ability able to maintain discretion, maturity and composure under pressure
- Strong attention to detail
- Highly ethical with sound professional judgment
Middle East Broadcasting Networks, Inc. (MBN) is proud to be an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer.